Federal Grants

– The federal government is the largest provider of financial aid. Heritage Christian University believes that it makes sense to know as much as possible about federal financial aid programs and to apply for federal financial aid funds before seeking out other non-federal financial aid sources. Grants may be awarded if you show financial need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The grants listed here are administered by Heritage Christian University based on the guidelines set for each program by the provider.

Federal Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants are considered the foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. It is gift aid that is awarded to the highest need students. Students are automatically considered for Pell Grant when they file the FAFSA. Pell Grants are for students who are seeking their first undergraduate degree and whose Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) ranges from 0 to 6206. The annual award amount is determined by your EFC and enrollment status.

The maximum scheduled award for 2021-2022 is $6,895.

Students who establish eligibility will be funded. All documents needed to establish eligibility must be received prior to your last day of enrollment, or June 30 of the award year, whichever comes first. Initial awards are estimated based on the results of the FAFSA and are based on a full time enrollment calculation. Estimates would change if any criteria used to determine your eligibility, degree status, satisfactory progress, and income or family information changes. The amount actually paid to you from the Federal Pell Grant will be prorated if you enroll for less than 12 credit hours in a given term or if you take courses outside your program of study. You must begin attending all
of your classes on the first day.

If you are withdrawn for non–attendance prior to the actual payment of Pell Grant funds, your eligibility could be cancelled. Pell Grant funding is now a limit to the total amount of Pell Grant that a student may receive, which is the equivalent of 6 school years (600 % maximum). Once a total amount of Pell Grant eligibility has been received, a student can no longer receive Pell Grant aid.

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

If a student’s parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001 or if the parent or guardian was a public safety officer and died as a result of active service in the line of duty, s/he may be eligible for
additional Pell Grant funds if, at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, the student was under 24 years old or enrolled in college or career school at least part-time. There are two different provisions for such students, depending on whether the student has an EFC that falls within the range for Pell eligibility or not.

Provision 1:  Zero EFC Treatment for Children of Soldiers – Pell eligible students will receive the Zero EFC maximum Pell Grant Award.  HCU will use an EFC of 0 to package all Federal Student Aid if the student meeting the above criteria.  Exception:  The award may not exceed the student’s cost of attendance.

Provision 2:  Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant – Non-Pell Eligible students will receive the Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant Award. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants are made under the same terms and conditions as Pell, and disbursements for each payment period are calculated in the same manner as Pell. Exception: The award may not exceed the student’s cost of attendance.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a grant award for students with exceptional need (students with the lowest EFC). Students who are eligible for Pell Grant receive first priority consideration for FSEOG. Students are automatically considered for FSEOG when they complete the FAFSA. Awards vary depending on level of need and the amount of funding available at HCU. The average awards range from: $100 – $300. Recipients must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens enrolled at least half-time.

Important Note: Since the FSEOG award is based on the availability of funding at HCU, there is no guarantee that every eligible student will receive an FSEOG grant.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

FWS is a federal campus-based program that provides jobs for undergraduates who are enrolled at least half-time. Most jobs are on-campus (students working for the school), although some are off campus. Students seeking FWS must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the general requirements for federal aid.

FWS funds are made available to undergraduate students with financial need. Campus employment includes a variety of opportunities within departments of the University. The specific working hours approved per week are arranged so they do not interfere with class attendance or academic progress. Students generally work 4-10 hours per week and may work during the summer under certain conditions. Students are paid at least the current federal minimum wage and are paid once a month at the end of the month. The total a student may earn depends on the amount of the student’s financial aid award, which is determined by the Office of Financial Aid based on the funds available to the University. Important Note: Since the FWS award is based on the availability of funding at HCU, there is no guarantee that every eligible student will receive an FWS award.